Does taking four A levels instead of three give my application any advantage?

No. Applications from those taking four A levels are not considered any differently than from those taking three A levels.

What GCSE grades do I need?

There are no specific requirements for GCSE grades.

Is work experience valuable?

Yes, for certain courses. Applicants for Medicine and Veterinary Medicine are strongly advised to undertake some work experience (paid or voluntary) in a relevant organisation. 

If you are applying for Engineering, the College welcomes applications from those wishing to defer entry in order to take up a work placement or internship relevant to the course. In such cases you should indicate in your application that you are applying for deferred entry. 

For all other courses, the value of work experience is entirely dependent on the relevance of the work to the course for which you are applying. 

Is there a different application process for international students?

No, the application process is the same for all applicants to undergraduate courses. Bear in mind, however, that the University charges international applicants an application fee of £60.

Can I apply if I am already studying at another university?

Clare will only consider applications from those already studying at another university in exceptional circumstances. Please see the University policy on such applications on the University admissions website.

Does Clare accept applications from students who will be under 18 at the start of their course?

Clare will consider applications from students who will be under eighteen at the start of their course, but it is strongly recommended that you contact the College to discuss your circumstances before applying. Please note that due to national restrictions medical students are required to be 18 years of age by the beginning of November of Year 1 to be eligible to apply for Medicine.


Does Clare accept applications from mature students (over 21)?

Clare will consider applications from mature students. If you already have an undergraduate degree you should consult the university’s webpages for mature applicants.

Do you provide feedback to unsuccessful applicants?

The College only provides feedback, if requested, to those applicants who are invited to interview but ultimately are not offered a place at Cambridge. In such cases, the request for feedback must be made by the applicant’s UCAS referee. The College does not provide feedback to applicants who are not invited to interview.

If my application is unsuccessful, can I apply again next year?

Yes, but please note that your application should be made to another college.

Is there a way to appeal a decision or make a complaint?

Please see the University’s complaints and appeals policy.