Clare College announces the launch of an innovative and interdisciplinary outreach initiative in partnership with the University Museum of Zoology and supported by the Isaac Newton Trust.
Cambridge Future Museum Voices is a pioneering collaborative residential programme for students at state schools/colleges across the UK in their penultimate year of secondary education.
The initiative will see eighteen students stay in Clare College accommodation for a week-long residential in April 2023. The residential and all associated activities, board, and travel will be fully funded by Clare and the Isaac Newton Trust.
During their stay in Cambridge, students will co-curate an exhibition at the University Museum of Zoology on the effects of climate and environmental change on the natural world and people. Participants will also benefit from a range of activities in Clare designed to give a taste of university life, including a ‘formal hall’ dinner in College. Participants and their guests will then be invited back to Cambridge in September 2023 for the launch of their co-curated exhibition at the University Museum of Zoology.
Students will also be given guidance and support for their university applications throughout the residential and launch of their exhibition.
In its inaugural year, the initiative aims to encourage young people from backgrounds currently underrepresented at the University of Cambridge to:
- Challenge themselves beyond the school curriculum to apply their academic knowledge to solving real-world problems
- Explore the unique opportunities and resources the collegiate University can offer students across all disciplines
- Take a first-hand look at the world-leading work of the University’s researchers
- Immerse themselves in life as a Cambridge student for a week
- Build a network of other bright and inquisitive young people with a passion for change
- Develop the analytical, research and communication skills essential for study at competitive universities.
Interested students should apply before 31 January 2023.