Clare College Cambridge

Student Information

Student Information

For any queries you may have that are not shown below please email the Bursary on


Sponsorships and Loans


Many postgraduate students (and some undergraduate students) have a sponsor who will be paying their University Fees on their behalf (usually a University Department or funding body). In these instances, the College invoices the sponsor directly for the Fee rather than the student.

In order to notify the College of a Sponsor, gpostraduate stuents must complete a Postgraduate Funding Form and return it to upon receipt when they join the College.

Unfortunately if the sponsor does not pay, or a student does not provide details of a sponsor in a timely manner, the student will be treated as a self-funding student and charged for Tuition Fees in full as part of their College Bill.

If you are an undergraduate with a sponsor, please contact to provide details.

Undergraduate Student Loans

Many Undergraduate students have a University Tuition and Maintenance Loan arranged via the Student Loans Company (SLC) (inc. Scottish, Welsh and Northern Ireland equivalents). Application for a loan is done via the sstudent directly with the Student Loans Company.

Once a student has made a complete and successful application, the SLC will arrange payment for the Univeristy Tution Fee element direct to the College and the student will not be asked for payment if they have applied for a full loan.

Any applications for maintenance loans are dealt with confidentially between the SLC and the student and are usually paid at the beginning of each term as per the arrangement.

Postgraduate Student Loans

Some postgraduate students have a loan via the SLC which is paid in a lump sum to the student to cover maintenance or tuition fees as appropriate.

Students in receipt of these loans who are intending to use it to pay their University Tuition Fee will need to contact the Bursary via to advise them regarding payment terms.

Further infomration regarding Student Loans can be found on the government website: 


Cambridge Bursary

Every home student is automatically assessed for a Cambridge Bursary when applying for Student Finance (via the Student Loans Company), while overseas students will have been sent details about this in February by the Tutorial Office. In 2020/21 the Cambridge Bursary is available to any student from a household with an income of £62,215 or less. The Bursary is tiered so that those with the lowest household income receive the maximum bursary amount (£3,500 a year).

 Please note EU students that commenced their studies prior to October 2021 may also be eligible for the Cambridge Bursary.

Hardship Funds

The College also has Hardship Funds available for those facing unexpected financial difficulties. If this applies to you, you should speak first to your tutor, who can then refer you to the Financial Tutor Fred Parker.

The College offers £300 to any undergraduate for travel and research purposes, which can be used on a single trip or various ones during your time at Clare. Applications can be made through the college website (

The College subsidises Clare students who wish to take up a language course at the Cambridge University Language Programme (CULP), and will pay up to half of the cost. There are also subsidies for buying helmets and lights (see the section on cycling). The form is available for the college website Completed forms need to be submitted along with the receipts and evidence of completion of the programme (CULP only) to

Please see the Current awards and Grants section of the College website for further information on funding provided by the College:


Other Sources of Funding

For an extensive list of all the different funds available, please see the UCS’s Clare

Funding Guide:

For US Federal Loans, further information about the loans are listed on the University website includng a link to their consumer information page sas follows:

US loans | Cambridge students

Consumer information | Cambridge students



University Tuition Fee

University Tuition Fees are set by the University and are listed on the University website:

Undergraduates -

Postgraduates -

University Tuition Fee Tables - (for University Members only and required raven ID)

The fee is usually fixed for the duration of the course according to the year of matriculation, however please see the University website for details regarding specific courses.


Privately Funded Undergraduate Fee  

The Privately Funded Undergraduate Fee is payable by Overseas Undergraduates and those completing a second Undergraduate honours degree.

The fee is fixed for the duration of the course according to the year of matriculation and is shown in the table below:

Year of Matriculation












Please note, students from the EU commencing their course from October 2021 will be classed as an Overseas student for fee purposes, further information is available on the University website:

Students who intermit for more than five terms will instead be charged at the relevant fixed rate for the year/term on which they return. 

Payment of the Privately Funded Undergraduate Fee is due up front in full at the beginning of each academic year as part of the Michaelmas College Bill as per the College Bill payment terms.