Clare College Cambridge

Mental Health & Wellbeing

If you'd like support with this, please book a Wellbeing Clinic appointment through the Health & Wellbeing Service.  When appropriate the College Nurses will refer or signpost you onto other services. Any information shared with the College Nurses is kept in strict medical confidence. Alternatively you can arrange to meet with your College Tutor. 


Mood Self Assessment

We can all feel low, anxious or panicky from time to time.  If you are concerned, use this simple NHS mood self-assessment tool to check your mood:

First Response Service (FRS)

The FRS supports people experiencing a mental health crisis.  The First Response Service provides 24-hours access, seven days a week, 365 days a year, to mental health care, advice, support and treatment.  By calling 111, and selecting option 2, you will be put through to a member of the FRS who will speak to you and discuss your current mental health needs. 


For more details see the FRS information leaflet and Video:


University Counselling Service

The University Counselling Service is available to all undergraduate students in residence and graduate students on the register   

University Counselling Service,
Student Services Centre (3rd floor)  
Bene't Street
Telephone 01223 332865

Email:   or 

For more information please visit their website at


As well as one to one sessions the Counselling Service offers groups & workshops on a variety of different issues.  In addition they have some excellent self help leaflets on common problems such as Anxiety, Coping with Exams, Work-block & Insomnia. 

Sexual Assault and Harrassment Advisor (SAHA)

Support is also available through the service from the University's Sexual Assault and Harrassment Advisor (SAHA)

The SAHA is a specialist support worker who provides emotional and practical support to anyone who has been raped, sexually assaulted, or harassed, recently or in the past. They can support you whether this happened at University or not, and can help you to access other available support services. The SAHA can support you to explore your options for reporting what has happened and can support you through this process if you do choose to go ahead.  You do not have to report your experience to access support from the SAHA.

How to access service:

To self refer for individual counselling, group and workshops sessions or support through the Sexual Assault and Harrassment Advisor please complete the relevant secure form.

NHS Psychological Wellbeing Service (IAPT)

Cambridge & Peterborough NHS Foundation Trust's (CPFT) Psychological Wellbeing Service is part of the Improving Access to Psychological Therapties(IAPT) Services.  This is an NHS initiative designed to make psychological or talking thearapies more accessible to people experiencing common mental health problems. Click for more information & to self refer

You can also find information on self help from the service here, as well as videos on topics such as managing depression, anxiety, or sleep difficulties here

Online Counselling Provision

Students are eligible to join Qwell – an counselling and wellbeing platform launched by MIND (Cambridgeshire, Peterborough and South Lincolnshire). Qwell provides confidential chat-based counselling from qualified counsellors, free of charge.

To sign up go to:

NHS Website Resources

Live Well  - Advice, tips and tools to help you make the best choices about your health & wellbeing

Mental health & Wellbeing information including a mood self-assessment tool and mental wellbeing audio guides (Useful series to support you boost your mood)

Every Mind Matters - advice and practical tips to help you look after your mental health and wellbeing. 


Other Information:


Confidential night-time support service for Cambridge & Anglia Ruskin Universities.  This service is available 7pm-7am during the CU full term.

Telephone 01223 744 444.  Skype: Cambridge.Nightline.  Website:

Email: (available anytime during the CU full term. Emails are answered within 48hrs)



Available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. If you need a response immediately, it's best to phone 116 123 (free). You don't have to be suicidal to call them!  Details of the local Cambridge Branch




Mental Health charity.

Mind Infoline: provides information on a range of topics including:

  • types of mental health problem
  • where to get help
  • medication and alternative treatments
  • advocacy.

Tel: 0300 123 3393 or text 86463.  Email:

MInd website:

Cambridge Mind Website:



National Charity for the prevention of young suicide.  They provide a HOPELineUK telephone service which is staffed by trained professional who give non judgemental support, practical advice and information.

Tel: 0800 068 41 41 or text 07786 209697. Mon-Fri: 10am-10pm, weekends: 2pm-10pm & bank holidays: 2pm-5pm. Webiste:


Student Minds 

Student mental health charity. They aim to empower students with the knowledge, confidence and skills to look after their own mental health and support others through their national network of university groups.



The UK's leading charity supporting anyone affected by eating disorders.  Beat provides helplines for adults and young people offering support and information about eating disorders. 

Tel: 03456341414 (Mon-Weds 1pm-4pm)or email   website:


The Trevor Project

The Trevor Project provides crisis intervention and suicide prevention services and information to lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer & questioning (LGBTQ) young people under 25.