Using the Forbes Mellon Library
|Michaelmas & Lent Terms:||7am-midnight|
Vacation opening hours:
How to find a book:
- We use the Dewey Decimal System.
- Use iDiscover to see if a book is in stock.
- The record will show the classmark and tell you if it is available.
- Look at the floor-plans above the self issue terminal to see where it is shelved.
Borrowing, renewing and returning:
- All books can be borrowed except those marked not for loan or reference only.
- Students can borrow up to 20 books at a time.
- During Term there is a two week loan period.
- Books can be renewed twice before they have to be returned.
- Vacation loans are for the duration of the vacation.
How to borrow:
- Use the self-issue terminal next to the main desk.
- Scan the barcode number on your University card to display your reader record.
- Place the item(s) you wish to borrow on the glass plate.
- The loan(s) will register on your Library record.
If you have any problems issuing then speak to a member of library staff.
What to do if you have lost your University card:
Requests for replacement University cards should now be ordered online. Please see the Porters section on the Clare website or follow the link http://www.clare.cam.ac.uk/UNIVERSITY-CARDS/
How to renew:
- Do this from your Library account.
- Type in the barcode on the back of your University card (V****) and then your surname.
- Click on the item you wish to renew.
NB: Renewals are not permitted if the book has been recalled, but loans can still be renewed when they are overdue.
How to return:
- Put them in one of the two book boxes or return them to a member of staff.
- The inside book box is situated at the foot of the Bennett Room stairs, off the library foyer, and the outside one is beneath the library office window.
NB: Please do not return borrowed books to the trolleys in the library or to the shelves.
Overdues and fines:
- After a short grace period, fines are levied for overdue books at the rate of 50p a day.
- Overdue books not returned within seven days of their due date may result in a borrowing block being placed on the account until the book has been returned.
- Any fines accrued during the Term will go on your College bill.
- Failure to return a book may result in you being charged the replacement cost plus an administration fee of £5.00.
- If you lend a book to another student, it is still your responsibility to make sure that it is returned on time.
NB: If for any reason you are unable to renew your books please email the Library (firstname.lastname@example.org) to explain the situation.
Recalling a book that is on loan:
- This can be done from iDiscover
- On its return you will be notified by email.
- Please then collect from the library office within 3 days.
How to suggest a purchase:
- We welcome recommendations for book purchases from students.
- Fill in the Online Book Recommendation Form or a Recommendation form (on the table in the FML and on the reference shelves in the Turpin Room)