Clare College Cambridge

Useful Health Information

on this page:

Drugs & Alcohol


Cambridgeshire Drug and Alcohol Action Team

The Drug and Alcohol Action Team (DAAT) is committed to improving the outcomes for individuals, children, young people, families and communities affected by the misuse of alcohol and drugs in Cambridgeshire.
Their website provides up to date information of help and support locally, resources to download &  the latest news relating to drugs and alcohol.

Talk To Frank

Frank helps you find out everything you might want to know about drugs (and some stuff you don't). For Friendly, confidential drugs advice, Talk to frank.

Call 0300 123 66000 24 hrs a day, 365 days a year or text 82111
Live Chat 2pm-6pm
Email via website



Drinkaware is an independant charity working to reduce alcohol misuse and harm in the UK.  Helping people make better choices about alcohol.

Help with Health Care Costs

Some students are eligible for help with health costs on the grounds of low income (not just because you are a student). If you qualify for support, you can apply by completing a HC1 form. You will then receive help towards the costs of NHS prescriptions, NHS dental care, sight tests, glasses and contact lenses.

You can apply for a HC1 form online or collect from the College Nurse's waiting room, or from your GP surgery or dentist. 


 Please familiarise yourself with the signs and symptoms of meningitis


 NHS Information

 For information on health concerns, self-help and support organisations and local health services


Physio Direct

Physio Direct is a telephone self-referral service available to anyone registered with a Cambridge GP.  If you have an acute or chronic joint or soft tissue problem ring 01223 446999 Monday-Friday 13.00-17.00. The physiotherapist will make a diagnosis and prescribe exercises over the phone (call usually takes 10-15 minutes). An appointment or follow up advice will be offered if necessary.  Alternatively you can complete a self referral form available at your GP Surgery. 

Sexual Health


iCaSH; Integrated Contraception & Sexual Health services, provide all aspects of sexual health, including contraception, Sexually Transmitted Infections (STI) testing and treatment and genito-urinary medicine (GUM), All iCaSH services are self-referral, which means that a GP referral letter is not necessary.

Lime Tree Clinic
Brookfields Hospital
351 Mill Road
Tel: 0300 300 3030

The service is free, confidential and non-judgemental.

Supplies available in College

Free condoms, dental dams, lubrication and sexual health information are available from the College Nurse's waiting room, O4 Memorial Court.  Information includes the Family Planning Association (FPA)  leaflets'on sexually transmitted infections and contraception

Outside Clinic hours you can request the key for the waiting room through the Porter’s lodge, Memorial Court. Alternatively condoms, dental dams and lubrication are available to collect from the Welfare Pigeon holes (stocked by UCS Welfare Officers) located in each of the Porter's Lodges or via the JCR/MCR Welfare Officers.  

Pregnancy tests can be requested through the JCR/MCR Welfare Officers or via Students' Unions' Advice Service - these will be delivered to your pigeon hole.   Alternatively you can see the College Nurse who will perform the test and support you with this.

Other sources of information:

Travel Advice