Clare College Cambridge

The Colony

 

Picture by David Ponting

Set in the shadow of Castle Mound, Clare’s third court, The Colony, is situated between Castle Street and Chesterton Lane.  The first part of the estate was acquired in 1392 and the  purchase of Castle End Farm in 1466, together with the gift of a third property from the Master of St Catherine’s, completed the estate at the end of the fifteenth century.  The Colony houses the majestic Castlebrae, formerly the home the Rev’d Samuel Lewis and his famous wife, Agnes.  When Agnes died in 1926, Castlebrae reverted to Clare and was converted into student lodgings.  Two further houses were added, Braeside and Ethelreda, thus establishing ‘the Colony’.  Castle End and Castle House were added in the 50s and 80s respectively, with Castle End receiving a major refurbishment in 2008.