Services & Utilities
The College does not provide a fixed-line telephone service in rooms. Properties without a College-provided internet service may already have a fixed-line phone service installed as part of their internet facility. The cost of connecting a line and all call charges are the responsibility of the individual.
Individual connections to the University network and the internet are provided at St Regis, 108 Chesterton Road and 34 Newnham Road. For connection you should contact the IT Department at firstname.lastname@example.org, phone (7)61608, or via UMS. At all other properties the internet can be accessed by using local service providers (via cable or the phone line) in conjunction with a broadband modem - the tenant must arrange this with a service provider of their choice.
The following comparison site will give you up-to-date information : http://www.cable.co.uk/compare/student-broadband/. It also provides useful information for students to consider beforehand. Other Ofcom accredited comparison sites can also be used.
Information on other IT services can be found here.
All properties are heated either by either central heating or storage heaters.
All gas appliances are gas safety checked once a year and all boilers serviced annually. Where a Carbon Monoxide Alarm is fitted user details can be found here.
Waste and Refuse Disposal
All the properties have wheelie-bins which are collected by the City Council.
Where residents are responsible for putting bins out for collection (108 Chesterton Road, Queen Edith’s House and Netherfield House) they will initially be provided with a calendar advising when the collection day is and what colour bin is to be collected. Bins must be returned to the property as soon as possible after the collection has been made. They will also be provided with a list of items that can be place in each bin. All bins must have their lids closed and no side waste must be left. Further information can be obtained from the Cambridgeshire County Council
The College will clean communal areas such as landings, halls, bathrooms and kitchens. Rooms and flats are not cleaned by the College, but cleaning equipment (such as vacuum cleaners, dustpan and brush) is provided. Cleaning products are not provided. Tenants are responsible for the cleanliness and tidiness of their room or flat, washing their dishes, and helping to keep communal kitchens and bathrooms clean. Rooms and Flats should be cleaned on a regular basis this is partically important when sharing with other students.
The purpose of these guidelines is to clarify responsibilities for cleaning in properties with communal facilities.
Individual rooms are the responsibility of the tenant and College cleaners will not enter occupied rooms. It is therefore the responsibility of the tenant to clean their room regularly, to ensure that it is fit to be handed over when the tenant leaves. This includes cleaning of personal wash hand basins, where fitted
In kitchens, tenants are responsible for:
- washing up all cooking utensils as well as crockery and cutlery
- Maintaining grill pans, ovens and hotplates in a clean condition.
- Keeping sinks clear of dirty crockery and utensils
- Ensuring that all surfaces are clean and hygienic
- Disposing of food waste and rubbish in the appropriate bins on non cleaning days.
- Generally keeping the communal kitchen areas in a clean and tidy condition at all times.
In bathrooms, shower rooms and WC’s, tenants are expected to:
- ensure that any spillages are wiped and
- that washing, bathing and toilet facilities are kept in a clean and hygienic condition.
- Personal toiletries must not be kept or left in communal areas.
- Cleaning all surfaces
- washing the floors
- Cleaning the sinks
- Removing rubbish and recycling
Bathrooms, shower rooms and wc's
- Cleaning baths,showers,toilets and wash basins
- washing the floors
- Important - please do not contaminate recycling items by putting them in polythene bags etc. unless this is specifically requested by the collecting agent
General repairs are carried out by the College Building Maintenance Team. Repairs should be reported via the Maintenance web page.