Clare College Cambridge

Services & Utilities


The College does not provide a fixed-line telephone service in rooms. Properties without a College-provided internet service may already have a fixed-line phone service installed as part of their internet facility. The cost of connecting a line and all call charges are the responsibility of the individual.

Computer Connections

Individual connections to the University network and the internet are provided at St Regis, 108 Chesterton Road and 34-37 Newnham Road. For connection you should contact the IT Department at, phone (7)61608, or via UMS.  At all other properties the internet can be accessed by using local service providers (via cable or the phone line) in conjunction with a broadband modem - the tennant must arrange this with a service provider of their choice.

The following comparison site will give you up-to-date information : It also provides useful information for students to consider beforehand. Other Ofcom accredited comparison sites can also be used.

Information on other IT services can be found here.


Residents in Graduate properties are billed monthly for their utilities (including Water) - the bill being split equally between all residents. All properties are heated either by either central heating or storage heaters.

All gas appliances are gas safety checked once a year and all boilers serviced annually.

Waste and Refuse Disposal

All the properties have wheelie-bins which are collected by the City Council.

Where residents are responsible for putting bins out for collection (108 Chesterton Road, Queen Edith’s House and Netherfield House) they will initially be provided with a calendar advising when the collection day is and what colour bin is to be collected. Bins must be returned to the property as soon as possible after the collection has been made. They will also be provided with a list of items that can be place in each bin. Further information can be obtained from the website on


The College will clean communal areas such as landings, halls, bathrooms and kitchens. Rooms and flats are not cleaned by the College, but cleaning equipment (such as vacuum cleaners, dustpan and brush) is provided. Cleaning products are not provided. Tenants are responsible for the cleanliness and tidiness of their room or flat, washing their dishes, making their beds and helping to keep communal kitchens and bathrooms clean.


General repairs are carried out by the College Building Maintenance Team. Repairs should be reported via the Maintenance web page.